The 9 versions of Windows 8
There will be nine different versions of Microsoft's upcoming Windows 8 operating system. Windows 8 Beta arrived at this conclusion based on information gleaned from examining the registry entries of the recently released Windows 8 Consumer Preview. The various versions are identified as follows:
- Windows 8 Enterprise edition
- Windows 8 Enterprise Eval edition
- Windows 8 Home Basic edition
- Windows 8 Home Premium edition
- Windows 8 ARM edition
- Windows 8 Professional edition
- Windows 8 Professional Plus edition
- Windows 8 Starter edition
- Windows 8 Ultimate edition
Based on what we know of Windows 7, we can reasonably assume that only the Professional, Ultimate and Enterprise version will support joining a domain. Some are critical, though, of the need to further segregate between a "Professional" and "Professional Plus" edition of Windows; this may well result in some confusion about the right version of Windows 8.
Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT) has yet to announce a release date for the Windows 8 operating system, though it is generally agreed that the software giant is likely to release it towards the end of 2012.