AT&T Sustainability Initiatives Reach Communities Across New York
AT&T Launches 2013 Sustainability Report; Encourages People to Engage with Company Work through Interactive Sustainability Website
ALBANY, N.Y., June 25, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Environmental and social sustainability takes many forms at AT&T. The company invites interested parties to learn more about the company's community activities by engaging in its newly redesigned interactive website, People | Planet | Possibilities.
- Reached the halfway mark toward the goal of deploying 15,000 alternative fuel vehicles (AFVs) by 2018. AT&T has now deployed 8,230 alternative-fuel vehicles and reduced unleaded gasoline use by 4.6 million gallons in 2013.
- Contributed 5.3 million volunteer hours by employees and retirees.
- Increased veteran hiring by nearly five times, compared to 2012.
- Reached 95 percent of postpaid AT&T branded devices being rated as 3 or above out of a potential rating of 5, using the Eco-Rating system.
- Received more than 4 million pledges to never text while driving through the It Can Wait campaign.
- Invested $21.2 billion in IP (Internet Protocol) – enabled networks.
In New York alone, the following was accomplished:
- AT&T has invested in our New York communications networks, our people and local communities for 136 years.
- Invested in 109 energy efficiency projects in New York in 2013 resulting in an expected 13.775 million kilowatt hours of annualized energy savings, the equivalent of removing 821 cars from the road annually.
- Twenty seven alternative fuel vehicles operated in New York as of June 2014.
- More than $18.2 million contributed by AT&T and its employees from 2009-2013 through giving programs in New York.
- More than 4,185 hours of mentoring provided by AT&T employees to students in New York through Aspire Mentoring Academy.
- As of June 2014 there are 138 company-owned retail locations in New York, plus many other authorized dealerships and national retail stores.
- More than 3,800 AT&T employees working in New York as of 1Q 2014.
- More than $449 million generated in local and state taxes by AT&T operations in New York in 2012.
- Nearly $1.45 billion invested by AT&T in its best-in-class wired and wireless networks in New York from 2011-2013.
- 995 upgrades made in 2013 including new cell sites, addition of wireless and wired network capacity and new broadband network connections.
- More than 107,000 hours of personal time given by AT&T employees and retirees in New York to community outreach activities from 2009-2013 – worth more than $2.3 million.*
- 4,189 hours of mentoring provided by our employees to students in New York through Aspire Mentoring Academy.
- Launched 45 solar powered mobile charging stations located in New York City parks and pedestrian plazas throughout the five boroughs.
Please visit http://engage.att.com/new_york for more information.
"Our 2013 update shows how our employees, customers and like-minded organizations are addressing some of society's biggest challenges," said Charlene Lake, Chief Sustainability Officer and Senior Vice President, AT&T Public Affairs. "We invite others to join us on our sustainability journey by engaging on our People I Planet I Possibilities website."
*The financial equivalent is based on the annual industry standards from Independent Sector.
AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) is a premier communications holding company and one of the most honored companies in the world. Its subsidiaries and affiliates – AT&T operating companies – are the providers of AT&T services in the United States and internationally. With a powerful array of network resources that includes the nation's largest 4G network, AT&T is a leading provider of wireless, Wi-Fi, high speed Internet, voice and cloud-based services. A leader in mobile Internet, AT&T also offers the best wireless coverage worldwide of any U.S. carrier, offering the most wireless phones that work in the most countries. It also offers advanced TV services under the AT&T U-verse® and AT&T |DIRECTV brands. The company's suite of IP-based business communications services is one of the most advanced in the world.
Additional information about AT&T Inc. and the products and services provided by AT&T subsidiaries and affiliates is available at http://www.att.com/aboutus or follow our news on @ATT, on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/att and on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/att.
© 2014 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. AT&T, the AT&T logo and all other marks contained herein are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies.