Alcatel-Lucent will support China Mobile to deploy small cells in the world's largest TD-LTE 4G network
Deployment follows China Mobile's nationwide TD-LTE license award and successful trials of Alcatel-Lucent's Metro Cell solution in several high populated cities of China
SHANGHAI and PARIS, Dec. 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) today announced that China Mobile, China's largest mobile service provider, is deploying Alcatel-Lucent's small cells solution in the world's largest TD-LTE network. The deployment follows the award of China's 4G license and the successful small cell trials in several high populated cities of China.
Co-created by Alcatel-Lucent and China Mobile, the Metro Cell solution will enable China Mobile to meet the surging capacity demands for ultra-broadband access in urban areas across China in the most effective and economical way.
Small cells are a critical component of LTE ultra-broadband deployments as they enable operators to boost coverage and capacity in busy areas such as shopping malls, sports stadiums and high-traffic roads. By bringing the base station closer to the end user small cells assure exceptional mobile broadband including enriched multimedia services wherever consumers are located.
- China Mobile and Alcatel-Lucent co-created the lightRadio™ 9768 Metro Radio Outdoor (MRO), which was launched in February 2013 at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona
- As part of the trial, Alcatel-Lucent completed small cell tests on high-traffic roads in the Zhejiang, Fujian, Liaoning and Shandong provinces and Downtown shopping Mall in Jiangsu
- China Mobile selected Alcatel-Lucent's lightRadio Radio Access Network (RAN) as part of the world's largest deployment of a high-speed TD-LTE mobile broadband network
- Alcatel-Lucent also is providing 24 percent of the Evolved Packet Core for China Mobile's TD-LTE network
- Working with China Mobile to develop and deploy small cells as part of their TD-LTE network provides strong validation for The Shift Plan, Alcatel-Lucent's industrial strategy to become a specialist vendor of IP Networking and Ultra-Broadband Access.
Michel Combes, CEO of Alcatel-Lucent, said: "We are pleased to be working closely with China Mobile on the deployment of their 4G TD-LTE services. The application of our co-created small cells technology underlines the closeness of our co-operation. By leveraging our innovations and experience driving 4G adoption worldwide, Alcatel-Lucent will continue to support China Mobile's delivery of quality services enabling ultra-broadband mobile access."
ABOUT ALCATEL-LUCENT (EURONEXT PARIS AND NYSE: ALU)
Alcatel-Lucent is at the forefront of global communications, providing products and innovations in IP and cloud networking, as well as ultra-broadband fixed and wireless access to service providers and their customers, enterprises and institutions throughout the world.
Underpinning Alcatel-Lucent in driving the industrial transformation from voice telephony to high-speed digital delivery of data, video and information is Bell Labs, an integral part of Alcatel-Lucent and one of the world's foremost technology research institutes, responsible for countless breakthroughs that have shaped the networking and communications industry. Alcatel-Lucent innovations have resulted in the company being recognized by Thomson Reuters as a Top 100 Global Innovator, as well as being named by MIT Technology Review as amongst 2012's Top 50 "World's Most Innovative Companies". Alcatel-Lucent has also been recognized for innovation in sustainability, being named Industry Group Leader for Technology Hardware & Equipment sector in the 2013 Dow Jones Sustainability Indices review for making global communications more sustainable, affordable and accessible, all in pursuit of the company's mission to realize the potential of a connected world.
With revenues of Euro 14.4 billion in 2012, Alcatel-Lucent is listed on the Paris and New York stock exchanges (Euronext and NYSE: ALU). The company is incorporated in France and headquartered in Paris.
For more information, visit Alcatel-Lucent on: http://www.alcatel-lucent.com, read the latest posts on the Alcatel-Lucent blog http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/blog and follow the Company on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Alcatel_Lucent.